What is DiSC®?
The DiSC® is an assessment tool measures an individual and/or team’s behavior style, personality tendencies and priorities. There are four basic behavioral styles with the DiSC:
- Dominance – direct, results-oriented, strong-willed and forceful
- influence – outgoing, enthusiastic, optimistic and lively
- Steadiness – even-tempered, accommodating, patient and humble
- Conscientiousness – analytical, reserved, precise and systematic
Each of these four behavioral styles gives insight into how you act and behave. Understanding your personal DiSC style will allow you to recognize your own strengths, weaknesses, motivators and fears. In addition, learning about DiSC allows you to gain insight into how that ‘difficult coworkers’ desires to be communicated with. DiSC gives you the ability to adapt your style to communicate more effectively, build stronger relationships and higher-functioning organizations.
Five Cornerstone Principles illustrate the understandings that undergird the Everything DiSC® Workplace:
- All DiSC® styles and priorities are equally valuable and everyone is a blend of all four styles
- Work style is also influenced by other factors such as life experiences, education, and maturity
- Self-understanding is the first step to becoming more effective when working with others
- Learning about other people’s DiSC® styles enhance understanding of their priorities and how they may differ from one’s own
- The quality of the workplace can be improved by using DiSC® to build more effective relationships
*The foundation of DiSC® was first described by William Moulton Marston in his 1928 book, Emotions of Normal People. Marston identified what he called four “primary emotions” and associated behavioral responses, which today we know as Dominance (D), Influence (i), Steadiness (S), and Conscientiousness (C). Since Marston’s time, many instruments have been developed to measure these attributes. The Everything DiSC® assessment uses the circle, or circumplex, as an intuitive way to represent this model.
The DiSC® is NOT:
- The DiSC is not a tool used to diagnose
- The DiSC is not a tool to label individuals and put them in a box
- The DiSC does not solely measure personality traits
- The DiSC does not measure skill, ability, values statements or belief systems
Remember, your personal DiSC style is just right for you. No DiSC style is better than another. Each DiSC style has strengths and weaknesses. The true benefit comes not when one style is elevated above the rest, but when each style is valued equally and cultivated to be the best he/she can be.
DiSC: A Quality Assessment Tool:
DiSC is an assessment that has three components that set it apart as a quality assessment tool: data-driven, highly accurate and easy to use.
The Everything DiSC products have been scrutinized by industry standard and meet the highest level of reliability and validity. Wiley ensures that all instruments offer valid scores and accurate feedback to the respondents.
In 2007 Wiley Publishing (now Wiley), set the Everything DiSC products apart by using adaptive testing. This advanced technology adapts each question to how the respondent answered previous questions. This maximizes precision and provides greater accuracy. Because of this advancement in the Everything DiSC product line, the Everything DiSC profile is 32% more accurate than a traditional DiSC Classic profile.
Easy to Use
The Everything DiSC assessment can be taken online in about 15-20 minutes. Results are generated quickly after the test is completed. The new circumplex model of displaying the DiSC styles is simpler and more intuitive than the traditional bar graph. Each profile is customized to your individual style with strengths, weaknesses, motivators and fears. In addition, each profile summarizes how your style will interact with other styles giving specific tips and strategies for communicating and working more effectively together.